For a Friday in June, there is a lot going on tonight. Some recommendations follow.
- Bayard, Do You See What I See? (these fags are for sale but you can't buy this queer) at Schroeder Romero - This project is presented in commemoration and celebration of the 38th anniversary of the death of Judy Garland and the birth of Gay Pride. Free commemorative caps for the first 144 mourners attending the reception and commemorative pins for all.
Lower East Side Openings
- New American Portrait at Jen Bekman - Co-curated by Ms. Bekman and Jörg Colberg, editor the photo blog Conscientious
- Jacques Louis Vidal at SUNDAY -- the first NYC solo show by one of the artists in our Dangling Between show
- New Mutants at Canada -- including recent Hoggard/Wagner acquisition Michael Williams
While you're in the area, you can stop by the Drag March too.
- ROFL! - Touted as an Internet gong show of sorts, the competition takes place at 11:30 tonight at Joes Pub, and brings together some of the best web mavericks working today. The concept is simple: Eight cewebrities pit their best Internet finds and creations, and the audience determines the winner of each round of submissions. Participants include Marisa Olson and S.T. VanAirsdale of The Reeler.
- This looks like an excellent concert of piano music at 8pm at the Tenri Institute on West 13th Street. Our friend Idith Meshulam is one of the performers.
[image above is a detail of a Jacques Louis Vidal drawing from our show]